Electricity is a necessity and it is hard to imagine a comfortable life without it. It is important that the electricity is used with care because if not then it can do a lot of damage. Using electricity with responsibility is critical.
Regular maintenance is important to keep the electrical system running smoothly and without danger. Getting a domestic or a commercial electrical certificate is essential because it makes sure that there is no fault in the electrical system that you are using.
What are electrical certificates?
It is a mandatory document that every property should have whether it is commercial or domestic. Whether the property is new or old it needs to get an electrical certificate. The certificate certifies that the electrical installation is done properly and there are no faulty wires, sockets, and plugs.
1. Types of electrical safety certificate:
It is important that you choose the right type of certificate so that it is the suitable one for the type electrical system that the property use.
There are two types of safety certificates that you can choose from:
- Prescribed electrical installation work:
This certificate covers all the major electrical wiring work like the wiring from street to the switchboard. It checks the wiring where it is not possible to switch off the electricity. The type of work is also checked.
- Non-prescribed electrical installation work:
This certificate covers all the minor electrical wiring work across the building. The installation and maintenance of safety switches, power points, lighting points and the circuit breaker is checked in the certificate.
2. Contents of an electrical certificate:
Here are some things that are included in the electrical safety certificate.
- The certificate includes details of the electrical and business contractor. It includes the registered license number of the contractor.
- It also includes the details of the licensed electrician who is carrying out the installation or maintenance work.
- There are customers details available in the certificate are the address where the work is carried on.
- It includes a detailed of all the work that is done by a licensed electrician. It includes the condition of the electrical system and it also includes suggestions that will make the system better and efficient.
- The report is signed by the electrician along with the date when the service is carried out.
When do you need an electrical certificate?
- Here are some situations in which you will need to get electrical certificates.
- When you move into a newly built building and you need to enable the electrical power.
- If you are looking to increase the contract power and the increase leads to exceeding the maximum on the certificate that you already have. You need to get a new certificate that certifies that it is safe to increase the power.
- In case you are looking to change the electrical installation from single to three-phase.
- You are making a change to the contract and the certificate has expired.
How much you should pay?
The cost of electrical certificates are not regulated. There are a number of factors that play a role in determining the rate of the certificate. The rates of the electrician, dimensions of the building, taxes, etc. play an important role in determining the cost of the certificate.