Buying a house is an exciting and important investment. Everyone has a dream house that they want to spend their lives in. Some people prefer modern architecture but there are some that love vintage houses. The vintage houses have a certain charm that it is not possible to find in fresh and new houses. The old houses have their own history and they hold so many memories.
But before you decide to invest your money in a vintage house, it is important to consider the cons as well. They may be gorgeous and enticing but they do come with certain hazards. Here are a few hazards you have to deal with if you invest in an old house.
Electricity and Wiring:
Electrical hazards are extremely dangerous and common. It is important to invest in electrical safety by paying the EPC or EICR report cost London. When you buy an old house you should inquire about the age of the wiring. Faulty wiring can lead to house fires and electrocution.
The electrical systems of old homes are not designed for modern appliances. The load can be too much for the old wiring. It is important that you update the wiring so that it is safe to use. If the wiring is too old then you will be increasing chances of house accidents. You can call an electrician and check the wiring of the house. An electrician can tell you the extent of repairs that you need to invest in.
The Danger of Asbestos:
In the past, there were a lot of asbestos-based products used in the construction. It was used in roofing materials, floor tiles, insulation, etc. If you are investing in an old house you have to check if there are any harmful materials used or not. Get a professional to check the house and determine if there is an asbestos health hazard in the house or not. Never treat the asbestos problem by yourself because it can be dangerous. Let a professional handle the problem.
Before you move in your vintage house you need to check for pests. There is always a high possibility of the presence of pests in an old house. You have to get rid of pests like rodents, termites, etc. before you move in. Never think that the pests are not a serious issue. They can become a serious health hazard with time. Pests can cause asthma in children and there are other health issues as well.
Even if you have not seen any pests while touring the house before buying, you should call a professional. They know where to look for the pests and get rid of them.
Moisture is also a common problem with old houses. They have old plumbing so there is a high chance of leaky pipes, bad roof shingles, etc. and these damages can lead to water build-up. The moisture can cause some serious damage to the structure of the house. It can also make the house have an unpleasant smell. Moisture can also be a health hazard if the occupants are sensitive to allergies.